[Herefordshire] Hosts file corrupted.

Noel McG. herlinux at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 15 19:17:04 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Robbins" <joolsr at fastmail.fm>
To: "Matt Stone" <stone.matthew at gmail.com>; "Herefordshire Linux Users
Group." <herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Herefordshire] Hosts file corrupted.

> Hi Matt (Pleased your with us :-) & Noel
>

> You have to be root to be able to write cahnges to the file, but you
> should be able to read it as a normal user. Strange.

I was in as su root but it would not let me in to /etc/hosts,  = 'Permission
denied'.  Nor clould  I get anywhere with vi/etc/hosts to try to edit it =
'No such file or directory'

At present it shows this when I look in home/etc/ and open the file 'hosts'
in Kwrite

127.0.0.1            localhost.localdomain home 192.168.0.1 192 localhost
192.168.0.2        linuxbox

It believe that it needs to be put back to this

 127.0.0.1            localhost.localdomain localhost
 192.168.0.2        linuxbox
 192.168.0.1        home

> Hopefully, someone else will have had thsi problem before.
>
> If you want to get around this, you can (if you're using IPCop), setup
> hosts alias's there instead. Works quite well.
>
> BTW Did you get your broadband and IPCop working ?

Not yet.

> Julian
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:54:08 -0000, "Matt Stone"
> <stone.matthew at gmail.com> said:
> > Hi Noel and hi group *waves* (first post and all that)
> >
> > When you say you can't gain access to the file is it a permissions
> > problem?
> >
> > I'm also wondering what have you done to repair it when it's been
> > corrupted
> > before?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Matt