[Herefordshire] January meeting.

Noel McG. herlinux at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 14 14:17:14 GMT 2005

Hello everyone,

Our first meeting of the new year will be on Thursday 20th. January at HCT.
See the 'Events' page of the web site for directions.

Julian has arranged something a little different for January's meeting. We
have a visitor
 who will be coming along so that he can make the most out of some fairly
redundant old pc's.

 Keith Roberts is the Web Development Officer for the Voluntary &
 Community Sector of Herefordshire in Touch (Herefordshire Council's IT
 section). His organisation is keen to get six Linux installed PC's up
 and running to give to Voluntary Sector organisations for free.

 Because the PCs are all fairly old, i.e. 400 MHz PII with 64MB RAM, I
 decided that it would be best to install a 'thinned down' version of
 Linux.

 One that I [Julian] use day to day on an old Pentium 233 MHz 80 MB ram
laptop is
 Vector Linux. www.vectorlinux.org . Not the most well known of linux
 distributions, but it performs exceptionally well on older hardware. It
 won't of course run all the full Gnome/KDE desktops but does offer a
 good selection of lightweight but still feature full and easy to use web
 browsers, email, office programs and file managers, etc.

 Vector linux isn't so easy to install as say Fedora or Mandrake, but on
 the other hand does give you a flavour of what really goes on behind the
 scenes when you install Linux.

 So if you like to help install this to help Keith and his organisation,
 or just learn how to make the most of that old unused slow computer or
 laptop in the spare room or garage then please come along.

Regards,

Noel.

--
Herefordshire Linux Users Group