[Herefordshire] Possible cluster talk

john at drystone.co.uk john at drystone.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 14:48:41 GMT 2005

Hello all

Reacting to the suggestion of a cluster talk/demo at our next meeting, I
emailed Steve Whitehouse from ChyGwyn, a linux consultancy in Swansea,
and asked about the possibility of him giving a talk. I know Steve has
talked about clusters for UKUUG in the past so I think he would be a
great person for the job. He seems keen to come and give a talk but
wants to know more precisely what we want to hear:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:50:30PM +0000, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure that it should be possible. Did you have a particular month
> in
> mind? In fact I gave the talk at the Summer Conference in the end as
> there
> were a few complications regarding the winter one.
>
> Demo's are always tricky with cluster stuff as often there is not much
> to actually see and clusters tend to be rather non-portable by their
> very nature. I'll certainly come and give a talk though.
>
> I'm just about to head home for the weekend, so I'll probably be off
> email until next week now. The main subject of my previous
> talk was GFS, but if you'd like something more general, then I can
> throw
> in a few other topics as well,
>
> Steve.
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:50:55PM +0000, john at drystone.co.uk wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have recently joined the Herefordshire LUG and there has been some
> > talk about linux clusters. I saw that Steve Whitehouse gave a talk
> > at
> > the UKUUG 2004 Winter Conference and wonder if he, or someone else
> > with
> > cluster experience, would be interested in giving a
> > talk/demonstration
> > at one of our meetings which are one the 3rd Thursday of each month
> > at
> > the Herefordshire College of Technology. These meetings are
> > generally
> > well attended by a mix of people from hobbyists to those using linux
> > in
> > a professional environment. Of course, we would be able to pay
> > expenses
> > and maybe even a small fee.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > John Hedges

So if anyone is interested can you make some suggestions about subject
matter. We can then contact Steve with a more formal invitation.

I also offered to cover expenses and a small fee. I am happy to cough up
for this, within reason, but any contributions would be welcome :)

Cheers

John