[Herefordshire] (no subject)

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Fri Jan 28 15:29:34 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 15:05 +0000, John Michaelson wrote:
> Could you show me how to do the apt-get thing at the next meeting, it sounds
> very useful. I remember reading about ubuntu being debian based and Ive
> been wanting to try debian out for a while, so I should give ubuntu a closer
> look. It sounds like ubuntu has taken debian and given it a bit of polish
> and marketing, which sounds like a good thing.

Then apt thing is very easy (as long as you know what package you need
to install).  Simple examples below (need to be root for these to work):

Update the apt database with the latest available packages:
# apt-get update

Download and install any packages that have been updated:
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Install a package:
# apt-get install <packagename>

e.g.
# apt-get install anacron

Remove a package:
# apt-get remove <packagename>

e.g.
# apt-get remove anacron

Remove a package and delete all its' configuration files:
# apt-get remove --purge <packagename>

e.g.
# apt-get remove --purge anacron

And for full information see: