[HLUG] Unable to use CUPS

Graham Cole g at gcole.uklinux.net
Mon Jul 18 09:39:13 BST 2005

Hi all
I can't add my printer after installing CUPS. The CUPS documentation
advises using their "user-friendly wizard interface" for adding a
printer. (they say that adding by command-line is complex).I have the
wizard at http://localhost:631 . I click on the button to add a printer
and up pops a nasty little window which requires a username and
password. THIS IS NOT my idea of user-friendly. Nowhere does the CUPS
manual tell me how to set username and password. My OS username is not
recognized and after a single wrong try I get locked out! THIS IS NOT my
idea of user-friendly.
Can anyone please advise me how to proceed?
--
Best wishes

Graham