[HLUG] CUPS needs password

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 07:09:02 BST 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:16:08PM +0100, Graham Cole wrote:
> > You could try sending something directly to the printer. If you do
> >
> > # lpstat -v -l -p stylus-cx
> >
> > and look for the 'device' line. Hopefully it will be a device beginning
> > usb:/dev/u... if not you need to reconfigure cups to use a usb
> > port.
> >
> > I don't know whether this will tell you anything, but you could try
> > sending something directly to the printer.
> >
> > # cat some_small_file >/dev/u... <- whatever your usb port was
> >
> > If there is any sign of life from the printer then you know you've got
> > the correct port and the usb part is working.
> >
> > Cheers
> > John

> Hi John
> lpstat worked and told me:
> device for stylus-cx: usb:/dev/usb/lp0
>
> But I failed to send a file directly:
> root at localhost:/home/gc1 # cat /home/gc1/test >/dev/usb/lp0<
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
> I also tried with > < reversed and without these.

You don't need the trailing '<' - it was part of an arrow above.
When I wrote it I didn't think of the >...< effect! Just a '>' redirects
the output of one program to a file - in this case, a special file which
is hopefully your printer. '<' would pipe a file into a program.

>  When I send files or test pages to the printer the error log (debug
> kind) shows lots of things happening, as if the printer software is
> going well. No life in the printer!

I don't know what else to suggest.

Cheers
John