[HLUG] spamassassin questions

Matt Rhys-Roberts matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com
Tue Jul 26 10:47:49 BST 2005

I've just changed OS from Mandrake to Ubuntu, and managed to persuade a
newer version of Kmail to work with my old (kmail) email folders. It
just remains to get the address book working again, which I'll gradually
hack my way towards.

Main point: I used to use Spamassassin quite effectively on the old OS,
but had to reinstall it for Ubuntu. I've dug around in the docs a bit,
but can't quite tell whether my previous spam-training data is a)
present or b) if the current SA is configured to use the old data.

Q1) Would it be wiser to tear out all the SA files I can find, and start
again for the sake of integrity?

Q2) Would previous spam-training data be corrupted, or balloon to an
unusable size if I re-trained SA on top of previous data?

I appreciate the initial need to manually mark spam and ham - luckily
I've kept a few thousand spams for reference.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Best wishes,

Matt Rhys-Roberts
Leominster