[Herefordshire] Re: Mandrake misbehaving

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Thu Jun 2 22:14:06 BST 2005

Hi Noel,

Noel McG. wrote:
>>Sorry to be vague & unscientific, but I seem to recall typing xdm (x
>>display manager)
>
> No, nothing, just rolls over to another prompt.

Sounds like you X configuration or some of the filesystem got corrupted
and it is stopping the X server from starting (given that it was working
and now isn't).  Can you post the /etc/X11/XorgConfig (or something
named very similar) configuration file, /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the
output of lspci, this should get us up to speed with the h/w and why X
is refusing to start up.

However, early indications would say a re-install is probably required.
 Did the PC get powered off without shutting down first (i.e. power
cut), as that would explain why the filesystem was not umounted cleanly
and maybe why your having problems now.

All Best
Mark