[Herefordshire] Re: Mandrake misbehaving

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Fri Jun 3 15:45:04 BST 2005

Noel McG. wrote:
>>Sounds like you X configuration or some of the filesystem got corrupted
>>and it is stopping the X server from starting (given that it was working
>>and now isn't).  Can you post the /etc/X11/XorgConfig
>

> bash shows file does not exist.
> /etc/X11   shows as directory only
>
> (or something named very similar) configuration file,

The configuration file in the directory /etc/X11 - it is actually called
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> I am denied permission to this one.
>
> I seem to be unable to get in as su or admin root, at the moment I can only
> log in as localhost or loclahost root.

In that case you'll need use the rescue disk to examine the disk as root
and restore the root password.

> and the
>
>>output of lspci,
>

> I do get an output for this.   However there is a difficulty here. I am
> using a KVM switch Linux/Windows to do this.  I have only the "A" drive on
> Linux to transfer anything through.   Am I able to copy to A from the bash
> output?

Yes. Put a formatted disk in the drive and say:

$ mount /mnt/floppy

which should work but you may need to be root... if it does work then
you simply do:

$ lspci >/mnt/floppy/lspci.txt

then finally:

$ umount /mnt/floppy