[Herefordshire] Sarge DVDs

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 22:15:36 BST 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:36:23PM +0100, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know a good way of telling Debian which DVDs you have and
> getting the updated files for the full release, as I upgraded to the
> full release last week from a set of test disks, but have hozed the
> system by doing something very silly and don't fancy downloading it
> again (it took around 2 hours).
>
> Thanks.
> Andrew.

Hi Andrew

You can do this using apt by having entries in sources.list for dvds
for package repositories to make apt get packages from the dvd unless
there is a more recent one on the net. Have a look at apt, sources.list
and apt-cdrom.

Another way, which is very handy if you have more than one debian
installation, is to use apt-proxy. This builds a local package cache on
a local machine that it and any other debian boxes can use a a package
source.  This saves a lot of downloading, even with just 2 pcs.
There is a program called apt-proxy-import which might be of use
building the cache from dvds, though I haven't tried myself.

John