[Herefordshire] hard disk problems

Mark Broadbent m.broadbent at signal.QinetiQ.com
Thu Jun 30 11:34:23 BST 2005

Hi Malcolm,

Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> got a problem with an 80GB laptop drive, on which I think the heads are
> stuck. Its got some sensitive (business) information on it, which means
> I can't send it off for recovery,
>
> has know of anyone who has the tools etc to open it up ? so that I can
> see if the heads free up or indeed smash the platters,

I can almost guarantee opening the disk up won't get you any further in
recovering the data (I've seen people try and fail).  You could try
giving the disk a sharp knock (when it's out of the laptop) to free the
head up but this may damage the disk in other ways.

As for destroying the disk, I'd go for crushing.  End up, underneath a
paving slab and drive a car over. ;-)

Thanks
Mark