[Herefordshire] Having a blonde moment!!!!

Phil Taylor phil at phil-taylor.com
Thu Jun 30 16:40:44 BST 2005

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

The name ``Emacs'' was originally chosen as an abbreviation of Editor
MACroS.

To quote the Emacs Manual:

    Emacs is the extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time
    display editor.

If this seems to be a bit of a mouthful, an easier explanation is Emacs
is a text editor and more. At its core is an interpreter for Emacs Lisp
(``elisp'', for short), a dialect of the Lisp programming language
<http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html#LispPointers> with
extensions to support text editing. Some of the features of GNU Emacs
include:

    * Content sensitive major modes for a wide variety of file types,
      from plain text to source code to HTML files.
    * Complete online documentation, including a tutorial for new users.
    * Highly extensible through the Emacs Lisp language.
    * Support for many languages and their scripts, including all the
      European ``Latin'' scripts, Russian, Greek, Japanese, Chinese,
      Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Lao, Ethiopian, and some Indian scripts.
      (Sorry, Mayan hieroglyphs are not supported.)
    * A large number of extensions which add other functionality. The
      GNU Emacs distribution includes many extensions; many others are
      available separately
      <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html#FindingPackages>--even
      a web browser <http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/w3/docs.html>