[Herefordshire] hard disk problems

Malcolm Herbert mherbert at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 21:52:14 BST 2005

thanks for all the advice, I am just on my second beer of the evening
and will be putting it in the freezer in a while, for 20 minutes.
Nothing else has worked today so why not.

Malcolm

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 11:32, Mark Broadbent wrote:
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> > got a problem with an 80GB laptop drive, on which I think the heads are
> > stuck. Its got some sensitive (business) information on it, which means
> > I can't send it off for recovery,
> >
> > has know of anyone who has the tools etc to open it up ? so that I can
> > see if the heads free up or indeed smash the platters,
>
> I can almost guarantee opening the disk up won't get you any further in
> recovering the data (I've seen people try and fail).  You could try
> giving the disk a sharp knock (when it's out of the laptop) to free the
> head up but this may damage the disk in other ways.
>
> As for destroying the disk, I'd go for crushing.  End up, underneath a
> paving slab and drive a car over. ;-)
>
> Thanks
> Mark
Dr Malcolm Herbert
Manager, Client Development             GPS, Red Hat Europe
m: +44 7720 079845   w: people.redhat.com/mherbert
GPG ID:  C051F446
GPG FPR: 68AD CBDD 8EEB 63ED 0802  4B8E A5B3 EB72 C051 F446