[Herefordshire] Having a blonde moment!!!!

Chris Bond chris at logics.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 16:34:07 BST 2005

http://freshmeat.net/projects/emacs/

The name ``Emacs'' was originally chosen as an abbreviation of Editor
MACroS.

The original Emacs implementation was written for the Incompatible
Timesharing System (ITS) as a collection of TECO macros for ITS TECO. There
was a custom of giving such macro packages names ending in ``mac'' or
``macs''. A further reason for choosing this particular name was that the
abbreviation ``e'' was unused at the time on ITS.

Kind Regards,
Chris Bond

  _____