[Herefordshire] How do I specify a auto - timeout for a modemconnection?

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Thu Mar 3 20:22:26 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 16:47 +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Hi Julian,
>
> No ADSL until late June.
>
> When I am talking about background Internet activity, I am not talking about web browser sessions etc, although these count of course.  What I am talking about are all the broadcasts, connection attempts and pings etc that go on whilst connected which of course resets the timer.

Hi there,

What you basically need is to use the active-filter configuration
directive in pppd.  This allows you to specify what pppd will consider
as active traffic and should solve the idle timeout problem.

I found this http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_network/x7297.html that
lists the active-filter directive and this
http://users3.ev1.net/~ckite/public_html/enhanced-idle.html actually
gives a couple of example filter expressions (the expression are libpcap
expressions I believe).

Thanks
Mark

BTW, Why does Microsoft Exchange insist on putting a tab character at
the 60 character in the subject line?

Mark Broadbent <markb at wetlettuce.com>
Web: http://www.wetlettuce.com/