[Herefordshire] newbie### reply from Roger

Roy M Roy at Farm3.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 23:00:59 GMT 2005

In message <422F7C57.4010108 at virgin.net>, Roger Irwin
<roger.irwin at virgin.net> writes
>Roy M wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I'm Roy a senior member of society, scrap heap stuff you know! Very
>>much  a newbie from Bromyard.
>>  Got redhat 9 on a removable disc and Mandrake 8 on an old laptop.
>> Been given the Mandrake 10 discs. Not sure where I'm going to put it
>>yet. From what I gather it will need upgrading to, 10.2 is it?
>>  I've been principally using  Ms  but am trying to get to grips with
>>Linux. -Trouble is I'm short of time to study it's workings. Do allot of
>>exercise and play Badminton you see-. Tried to swap over and got
>>frustrated, only making some notes in O O. But I lurk allot on the LUG
>>lists hoping to pick up tips.
>>  I went to the GLOS. lug meeting a couple of years ago, but the slick
>>minds there got the better of me and I was lost!
>>  Got myself a book - Sams teach yourself Linux- but find it hard
>>going,  confusing to my well worn brain!! I can't find the command
>>screen yet!
>>  If you have read this far, thank you.
>
>Hi Roy.
>This is Roger, also a Silver Surfer trying to get to grips with Linux,
>and so far failing.
>Do you think that our brains get all Feek & Weeble when a body gets
>to retirement age?

Hi Roger,
Weell, maybe! I think things have to be spelt out a little slower to us
and step by step, with allot of repeats! ;-))

Which of course is frustrating to the not-so-old. Who get it first time.
>So far this Linux stuff is driving me nuts !!!!  and I realy do want to
>learn how to work it.  Wot's a command line ???

You haven't had the fortune to use DOS, whereas I have, so, I know what
the Command line is but don't know how to get it in Linux!

I'm itching to swap to Linux but just haven't the time to sort all the
things out I would like it to do. But I am getting more time in the
future. It seems I am a bit behind with the distro vers too!

Keep at it Roger,
                                Roy

--
Roy Meddings in attractive Herefordshire