[Herefordshire] Mambo installation

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Sat Mar 19 15:50:36 GMT 2005

Hi,

Here is how I got Mambo up and running on my ancient Linux system with
vanilla Apache and PHP and MySQL.  Noel requested this.  You can
probably find gaping holes in these.

Thanks.
Andrew.

Installing Mambo:

Mambo is an Intranet/Internet publishing system which works through PHP
scripts - the system can be totally managed by someone with little
computer knollege, and who is more into page layout/design (i.e,
marketing department).  The HTML code is generated by the PHP scripts
with a Mysql backend.

Brief notes.

Ensure /var/www is empty or create a directory for Mambo. (or your
default web docs directory).

If using a directory you need to ensure that when visiting Mambo site
(i.e, http://yoursite.domain.com <http://yoursite.domain.com/> , you
append the directory after the URL (i.e, /mambo).

I did the following as root

Unpack latest build to the /var/www directory.

tar -xvfz latest_mambo_version.tar.gz -C /var/www/

You should now have a set of directories in the /Mambo directory
(importantly the installation directory), also there will be a PHP file
for configuration options.

You need to go into that directory now (cd /var/www) and do some
modifications of permissions.

ps -ef | grep apache - find the user that runs the webserver process -
on my system it was www.

Now enter:

chown -R www

Change the owner of the files recursively in that directory to the user
that runs Apache process so Apache can have control of those files.

The following is also helpful as I have seen errors with people
installing plugins etc.

chmod -R 707 images

chmod -R 707 media

chmod -R 707 uploadfiles

chmod -R 707 components

chmod -R 707 languages

chmod -R 707 modules

chmod -R 707 templates

chmod -R 707 administrator/backups

chmod -R 707 administrator/components

chmod 744 configuration.php

You should now go to http://yoursite.domain.com
<http://yoursite.domain.com/>  and you will get the installation
checklist, it should check out PHP and then tell you that specific
directories are writable.  If you do not get this go to
http://yoursite.domain.com/installation/install.php and see if you get
the install checklist page.  If you get the PHP code you have issues
with PHP itself - check the PHP/MySQL packages you used.

SQL config:

You need to create a Mambo user and then a Mambo table to ensure that
only the Mambo application can get access to the SQL tables.  Do not use
the root SQL username as if some part of Mambo gets hacked there is the
posability of being able to access all SQL tables if the root password
is known.  If only Mambo accesses the SQL table under the Mambo account
then if the table gets hacked the worst that can happen is the Mambo
table can be damaged.

The Package I installed for MySQL put a file in /root/.my.cnf which
contained the root password - this is a random string which should not
be touched.  If you log in as root and go into MySQL Admin it won't ask
for the password because it gets the password from that file.

As root run the mysql command, you get the mysql prompt.  Enter in the
command bellow - the lowercase is parameters:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mambo.* TO mambouser at localhost IDENTIFIED BY
'mambopassword';

You may want to change mambouser/mambopassword to something harder to
guess.  Table name can also be changed from mambo to anything you wish.

Quit out of mysql.

Now go to the installation page and ensure that you have the checklist
complete.  Follow the install steps, when asked for the database details
enter in the following:

MySQL server: localhost

Database Name: mambo

User: mambouser

Password: mambopassword

There is an option to import sample data into the Mambo tables which you
can have or not.

You then need to remove the /installation directory for security
purposes - you will be prompted to do this.

Now comes the hard part - once you get into Mambo you have to edit the
content, menus, etc!!!

The default users are admin/admin (admin access) and editor/editor (edit
only access).  Obviously these need changing.