[Herefordshire] Samba

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Tue Mar 29 22:46:35 BST 2005

Hi Matt,

Malcolm Herbert wrote:

>2. Therefore, should be able to mount SharedDocs
>
>    mount -t smbfs //192.168.100.20/SharedDocs /mnt
>
>3. This is simple given that there is no password protection (by default
>with WinXP :-), so something like
>
>    mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxxx,password=xxxxx
>//192.168.100.20/SharedDocs /mnt
>
>might be needed.

Note that samba also comes with a utility called smbmount (and a
corresponding smbumount) that allows you to mount arbitrary windows
shares as a normal user (i.e. not a root).  Usage is the same as the
mount command above except replace 'mount -t smbfs' with 'smbmount'.
Additionally newer kernels come with an alternative file system called
cifs with (might be) the preferred way to mount windows shares.

>4. If you have a Windows PDC (ie Netbios rather than AD), you have to
>join the Linux box to the Windows Domain, using the "net join" command
>
>let me know any specifics and I'll see if i can help

I have some instructions at work for joining to a Win2K active directory
if required.

Thanks
Mark