[Herefordshire] Samba

Matt Stone stone.matthew at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:40:07 BST 2005

Hi andrew.

Am i right in thinking you want shares on your samba server to be visible on
your windows box without being prompted for a password everytime you try to
access them?

A quick way of doing that is add yourself as a user on the samba box using
adduser command, set your username to the same as it is on your windows box
password the same as well. Then use:

smbpasswd -a yourname

You'll then be prompted for a password, use the same password you use for
windows and voila, no more annoying password prompts. Another way is to set
the security level to share rather than user but this means unauthenticated
user can have access to your shares.

As for my problems, got em sorted in the end. I ran findsmb which showed my
samba server running with a netbios name of router and workgroup of
workgroup (i've got a long host and domain name) so i just ran

smbmount //server/share /mnt/samba -U username -P password -c
router.workgroup

And it bloody well worked! :)

It's amazing how these things seem so obvious after a good nights kip and a
few coffees

Cheers
Matt