[Herefordshire] Samba

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Wed Mar 30 23:56:12 BST 2005

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

>Hi,
>
>No, I want shares on my domain controler to be visible on my Linux box
>(currently running an ancient Samba 2.7 something, and going by the
>juggling I had to do this evening with fsck/badblocks etc, it won't be
>around for much longer).

I assume you mean 2.2.7? Not that it matters... Just set-up samba in
user mode with the domain value set correctly (same as your windows box)
and restart it.  Then use smbmount to mount your favourite windows share
on your Linux box.  Syntax should be:

# smbmount //<windows machine netbios name>/<share name>
/mnt/mywindowsshare -o username=<username on windows machine>

If you really fancy a challenge then you could try to persuade autofs to
automatically mount shares on demand.  However this is an exercise left
to the reader. ;-)

Thanks
Mark