[Herefordshire] Newbie Question: File Server

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu May 5 11:08:59 BST 2005

(quoted)  As for simple, I would personally find a Dell server in your environment a bit overkill.  For the past three years I have used a really battered Compaq Deskpro P166 with 64mb of ram and 3gb of disk - I got this from a computer fair in Worcester.)

Its worth mentioning that you can use a low spec pc like this , but this  was probably with an older distro or also possibly without a screen ie X.
If you can do without X you can really trim down the hardware required.
But if you want an easier solution, with a screen and a recent linux like Fedora or SUSE etc you probably need more like say at least a 1 GHz pc with at least 128 MB ram.
What im saying is that as an advanced user you can eke much more out of a lowspec pc, but I would advise you to get something a little faster as this will give you much more flexibility for not much more cost. A 1 GHz pc will set you back £100 or so.

Julian

Thanks.
Andrew.