[HLUG] upgrade will remove useful packages

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 6 17:49:52 GMT 2005

Graham Cole wrote:

>I would really like to upgrade my Gnome system tools but I am told that
>when it is done my Evolution email package, Totem-gstreamer and many
>other things will be removed. This is worrying and I wonder if I can
>recover my emails later by re-installing Evolution. I see there are 2
>kinds of removal: 'removal' and 'complete removal'.
>This is in the context of Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Preview.

AFAIK emails would never be removed after do an upgrade of software.
Thee mails are stored in a separate location the program files, and
config files. I don't use Evolution , so please don't quote me on this,
but I'm pretty sure you should be ok.

Even doing a full dist-upgrade from Ubuntu Hoary to Breezy still retains
most of the little things like, desktop icons you have added, e tc.

Sometimes, packages have to be removed with apt to allow newer variants
to be installed. Its just the way that it sometimes has to deal with
upgrades, i.e. remove something, add something new in then , put back
the original.