[HLUG] how to change permissions for Network Settings (Ubuntu)

Graham Cole g at gcole.uklinux.net
Mon Nov 21 21:39:50 GMT 2005

Hi you wonderful helpful people
It's great to have my OS working after the help at the last meeting but
I have a little problem now. I cannot see how to change the permission
for using my Network-admin tool, currently only for root. It is not a
simple package, being one of the Gnome-System-Tools. I should be able to
change permissions with the Users and Groups tool but this is not
effective. Should it be? Have I got a bug?!!

I tried to use a command in a terminal but I'm not sure of the name of
the file to work on. The file below may be the one.
gc1 at localhost:~ $ sudo chown /etc/gnome-system-tools/network gc1
chown: `/etc/gnome-system-tools/network': invalid user
Why is gc1 invalid I wonder?

Graham