[HLUG] how to change permissions for Network Settings (Ubuntu)

Graham Cole g at gcole.uklinux.net
Wed Nov 23 17:02:23 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 09:15 +0000, Mark Broadbent wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> On 21/11/05, Graham Cole <g at gcole.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > Hi you wonderful helpful people
> > It's great to have my OS working after the help at the last meeting but
> > I have a little problem now. I cannot see how to change the permission
> > for using my Network-admin tool, currently only for root. It is not a
> > simple package, being one of the Gnome-System-Tools. I should be able to
> > change permissions with the Users and Groups tool but this is not
> > effective. Should it be? Have I got a bug?!!
>
> I'd suggest running the network admin tool using 'gksudo'.
>
> > I tried to use a command in a terminal but I'm not sure of the name of
> > the file to work on. The file below may be the one.
> > gc1 at localhost:~ $ sudo chown /etc/gnome-system-tools/network gc1
> > chown: `/etc/gnome-system-tools/network': invalid user
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Why is gc1 invalid I wonder?
>
> It's not saying gc1 is invalid, you have the arguments to chown swapped.
>
> Thanks
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Broadbent
> Herefordshire LUG Master

1)Thanks, I have re-written the arguments.

2)using gksudo is tedious because I have to put the dial-up phone number
in Network Settings every time. Network Settings deliberately forgets
the number because only root is allowed to use it.

3)Users and Groups in Gnome enables me to give myself permission for
'use modems' and 'connect to Internet using a modem'. I am then able to
get connection okay using a terminal and command wvdial.
BUT in a previous incarnation of Gnome I could use the GUI window
'Network Settings' for connection. It remembered the phone number and
did not bother me with a request for a root password. I would like to
change the permission for 'Network Settings' to get the old service
back.

4)I assume I can change permission for 'Network Settings' or any other
package in a terminal but only if I know the name of the package. In
this case I don't. It's one part of a multiple package called
gnome-system-tools. I tried as follows:
gc1 at localhost:~ $ sudo chmod 777 gnome-system-tools
Password:
chmod: cannot access `gnome-system-tools': No such file or directory
and I tried:
gc1 at localhost:~ $ sudo chmod a+x gnome-system-tools
chmod: cannot access `gnome-system-tools': No such file or directory
Would these commands work if I found the appropriate filename?
(A file search for 'gnome-system-tools' returns 73 files and I don't
know which is the key one for permissions)
5) Read the Manual!!! Yes I tried but the help document is well out of
date for Network Settings. Maybe because modems are out of fashion now.

Graham