[HLUG] IN CAR PC

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:03:54 GMT 2005

hi tim,

really like the in-car pc idea. i reckon it would be an interesting
project. it would be interesting if you had some friends with the same
kit in their cars. you could use some sort of voip software to
communicate if you were driving together. if you had passengers
(preferably in the back seat) they could play networked games, you
could have a 70 mph deathmatch driving down the motorway.  :-)

it ties in with a few things that i want to try. i want to get my pc
running off of a 12v caravan battery, so that i don't have to rely on
mains power. i'd like to have a pc that i could use if i lived out in
the sticks with no mains power. if i move to australia then i want to
have a pc that runs purely off of solar power (of which they have
plenty).

switching the pc to 12v doesn't sound to painful, but running a normal
monitor would be an extortionate waste of power. can anyone recommend
a 12v powered monochrome lcd screen? it wouldn't need to have to be
high resolution or a fast refresh rate since i would only need it to
display the command line.

thanks.
john.