[HLUG] IN CAR PC

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Mon Nov 28 20:48:40 GMT 2005

j michaelson wrote:

>hello again,
>
>just need to clarify something about my last email. when i asked about
>lcd screens i wasn't talking about monitors, i meant something more
>like this...
>
>http://www.cc5x.de/files/LCD/LCD_84_Fot.JPG
>
>...but with more letters on the screen. i think the standard command
>line is something like 80 characters across.
>
>does anyone has any experience with these kind of displays? how do you
>connect them to the pc?

Hi John,

I have programmed ones of these however, that was on a powerpc running
inside an FPGA!  The principles remain the though.  Those displays
basically have an 8-bit interface with an enable signal if I remember
rightly, should be pretty simple to with communicate through a parallel
port.  See http://www.xilinx.com/ultracontroller for example code on
driving LCD screens.

Thanks
Mark