[HLUG] Wireless antenna

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 12 21:08:44 BST 2005

Dunstan Lawrence wrote:

>I need to boost the signal on my wireless router.
>
>It has two aerials. If I replace the standard one with another (9db) at 33
>cm long , do I need to replace both?

no you do not need equal antennas on tx and rx parts. The BBC use 250 kw
transmitters with high gain antennas on their tv transmitters, you
certainly dont need the equivalent to receive a signal ;-)

>Would they interfere with each other?
>
>I can buy from ebay for about a tenner
>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9dbi-WIRELESS-WLAN-WiFi-Antenna-R-SMA-D-Link-SMC_W0QQi
>temZ5817891238QQcategoryZ61816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
>Or, you guys at Q-PAR, is there an easy cheap way to do this?

There are some good cheap antennas, mainly designed by radio hams. The
cylindrical pringles tube antenna is popular.
But saying this, matching the antenna to the cable and connector is the
difficult bit without using test equipment.

Without a 50 ohm match, you will lose power , reflected back up the cable.
Unless you treat it as a learning exercise, its probably easier to buy a
cheap directional WLAN antenna.

Julian