[HLUG] Not really a Linux issue but using Rsync on Windows?

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Sat Oct 22 13:02:27 BST 2005

Hi,

I am using Rsync on Windows to try and mirror a share onto a Linux box.
The rsync is initiated by the Linux box (a NAS device actually), and I
have the Rsync server (cwrsync) running as a service.

I have set CYGWIN=nontsec in the system environment and started the
service.  For a test I run the following command:

rsync -av 81.2.105.214::backup /cygdrive/c/temp

I then get the error "rsync: unable to chdir" and it exits.

I have ran this from the Linux box and get the same (though with a
different destination obviously).

The rsync.conf is:

use chroot = false

strict modes = false

hosts allow = *

log file = rsyncd.log

pid file = rsyncd.pid

# Module definitions

# Remember cygwin naming conventions : c:\work becomes /cygwin/c/work

#

[agent]

path = /cygdrive/d/agent

read only = true

transfer logging = yes

It is definitely making a connection to the service because if it is
shut off we get connection refused.

Any ideas?

Thanks.