[HLUG] SSL now working

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Wed Sep 14 12:39:49 BST 2005

Hi all,

Thanks for help with SSL.  In the end I had to do the following:

Edit /etc/sysconfig/apache2 and ensure SSL is set in server_flags - the
important bit, as the module was being loaded but not used.  As you may
guess, this is the step I missed out!

I then copied the vhost template like so:
Cp /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/vhost-ssl.template
/etc/apache2/vhost.d/vhost-ssl.conf - the defaults in this file refer to the
root site, and because it now has a conf extension gets picked up by the
include statements.

This worked with a strange certificate signed by SnakeOil inc, I regenerated
a newer one by doing /usr/bin/gensslcert. Which then gave me the self-signed
certificate I was expecting.

The webmail now runs fine over HTTPS, and I can edit the CGI to generate SSL
requests fine.

Thanks.
Andrew.

the system manager.