[HLUG] ubuntu scanner victory

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 11:50:32 GMT 2006

hi,

my dad's pc is running windows 98 and it hasn't been reinstalled since
he first got it. it crashes all the time and is horribly slow. one
reason he is avoiding upgrading to a more modern windows distro is
because he cannot find the drivers his prehistoric scanner would need
to work under 2000 or xp.

i suggested ubuntu but he reckoned there was even less chance of
getting the right drivers for linux. out of curiousity i plugged it
into my pc and it worked straight away, no downloading of drivers
required. he was suitably impressed by this and i think his resistance
 to linux is weakening. he is already a massive fan of the gimp and
i'm slowly converting him to other open source programs.

wish me luck.
john michaelson.