[HLUG] clamav virus protection - is it working?

alabaster herelug at centaurus.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 18:23:40 GMT 2006

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I have re-read the articles in light of your
comments to try to see where I go next. One article says "... you can
also use it as a drop-in virus checker for an email client like KMail or
Evolution, by simply filtering through the clamav command."

I am using Evolution Mail, and I have set a filter to pipe the incoming
message to clamscan - (man clamscan suggested use of -, which seems to
scan just the piped file whereas leaving this off results in scanning
all of home) and if the return code is > 0 move file to folder virus.

As an alternative I have set up a script clammail to scan the inbox, so
I can doublecheck in case of problems.

Does this seem right to you? If so, all I need now is a mail message
with a virus in to prove it works!

Regards

Gordon