[HLUG] Fw: OS Offensive

Peter Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 22:53:13 GMT 2006

> > Dear All,
> >
> > Enjoying my exile in deepest Powys trying out various distro's and S/W
on
> > p3 box assembled from scraps. The Mandriva from the dvd Linux Format mag
> is
> > oustanding, (includes the Scribus I was after!).
> >
> > Ta to Julian for the up-date on local activism, I shall be making
contact
> > with community first on other matters and will include the FOSS topic in
> due
> > course.
> > (What follows is predicated on the assumption that no-one from
> Herefordshire
> > IT division is in this group)
> >
> > As to what can we do I am thinking there are now enough of us, and the
dvd
> > distro's are strong enough,to have a go at public install fests. I am
> happy
> > to undertake publicity for these and to look into venues in Leominster.
> > believe we should do a private session for members and officers of the
> > Council,(which is of course bankrupt), who could do with a bit of
> education.
> >
> > Education of course is the real issue, teaching the county kids to be
> > dependant on a commercial monopoly is not a good thing, preparing them
for
> > life of dependance on such is a thought crime in my view.
> >
> > I had a frustrating experience with the library in Leominster, where
there
> > are public access PC's with MS IE only and everything else disabled ( ie
> no
> > use of USB drives to save downloads). The staff were dismissive and
lacked
> > awareness of what could have been done. These machines are vastly over
> > specified for their present use and are paid for MS seats.
> > So- could we collectively design and specify a replacement system (
> possibly
> > using the existing boxes) which would allow the users to do more than
just
> > surf. In Powys Libraries users are allowed to plug in USB devices, use
> > floppies and burn CDs ( all under MS still).
> >
> > Last, for now, I believe we should develop some skill in deploying WINE.
> One
> > of the strongest arguments against OS is that high end pro apps are
built
> > for MS/MAC, eg Adobe,Macromedia,Quark. Having been fortunate enough to
use
> > some of these ( in older versions) I can see how printers and
> photographers
> > are reluctant to give up thier depth and power. Having said which,
> Scribus,
> > Gimp and OO are all excellent for non-pro day to day use. Anyone know
the
> > state of the art with respect to making films on dvd in FOSS?
> >
> > ATB
> [...]

On the matter of finding some funds to pay people's time to help roll out
FOSS in this area, yes it would need a new body to be set up. I have a
usable constitution for a non incorporated voluntary body ( NOT a charity)
which could be easily adapted, or anyone who wishes to be involved in making
more of a business of it could sign up for a co ltd by guarantee with
charitable objectives.( All the neccessaries are a free download from the CC
website).( Except the fee!)

As commented by others I agree it would be wrong to try to make this
informal sharing group into a legally constituted channel for euro or other
funds, but that in no way precludes individuals getting together a seperate
group for this purpose.

So, expressions of further interest now being sought, in particular to begin
by addressing the issues raised in the first part of this mailing.
Pete