[HLUG] Permissions

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 10:47:49 GMT 2006

hi tom,

i dont know about the x thing, but having your entire filesystem set
at 777 sounds risky. here's what i'd do. (with root priveledges)

1. make sure that all system files belong to root.

chown -R root /*

2. make all system files readable and executable but writable by non root users.

chmod -R 755 /*

3.by this point all the files in your home directory will belong to
root as well so change ownership back.

chown -R tom /home/tom/*

these steps won't fix everything, but they will make things a bit
safer till you get some more advice.

good luck.
john michaelson.