[HLUG] ext3 options

John Kneale john.kneale at virgin.net
Wed Jan 18 10:36:14 GMT 2006

The default was set in the days when disks were measured in megabytes, it's
much too large for a modern disk. Anyway, for your use of this partition you
don't really need any reserve at all. No system daemons, like syslogd, are
going to be writing to it.

You should be able to reduce it by using tune2fs, just do
    tune2fs -m0 /dev/hda14
or replace the zero by 1 if you'd still like some reserve.

John Kneale