[HLUG] Anyone had success with Lucent 56k (winmodem) in Ubuntu 5.10?

Matt Rhys-Roberts matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com
Wed Mar 8 16:52:20 GMT 2006

Thanks to all who replied...

Well, I got as far as running ./scanmodem to discover my winmodem's
requirements, as directed by linmodems.org. Then I was put off by the
sheer amount of extra things it needed, ie. me having to manually
getting and putting code and drivers in the right place. I was
overwhelmed by the number of components I'd need to get, and the total
complexity (ie. reduced likelihood of success) of the whole exercise.

So I have chosen the path of least resistance, which is to grab an old
56k external serial modem, and persevere with that instead!

Cheers,
Matt