[HLUG] DrayTek adsl router

ceta at globalnet.co.uk ceta at globalnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 00:24:47 GMT 2006

Hi there.
I noticed your conversations re the DrayTek router, I have had one for a
couple of years now and it works very well. However, a couple of points
worth checking:
1. Ensure that you are using DHCP to allocate your network address AND
have set "Gateway" on your PC to the same IP address as the
router(192.168.1.1 ?)
2. Access the router control facility (just type 192.168.1.1 in your
browser URL line), the id should be "admin" hopefully without a password
    Click on the LAN/DHCP setup option and then ensure that  the DHCP
Server option is enabled, plus the LAN Gateway IP address is specified
(192.168.1.1) PLUS ensure that the two DNS IP Address boxes are completed
with the IP addresses of your ISP's servers.
3. Finally, ensure that you do not have a firewall on your PC that is
preventing outgoing messages, if, heaven forbid, you are using WIN.....,
then TURN OFF the WINDOWS Firewall. If using Linux (i don't remember you
specifying which distribution you use, I use Suse 10 & 9.1 & 8.1) then
ensure that any firewall there allows outbound connections.
4. Check your Network Connections in your operating system to ensure that
they are activated for the appropriate LAN connection (guess they will be
if youcan reach the router!).
I hope this helps

Terry Bodkin

Julian Robbins <joolsr at fastmail.fm>
Sent by: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
18/03/2006 22:19
Please respond to
"Herefordshire Linux Users Group." <herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk>

"Herefordshire Linux Users Group." <herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk>
cc

Subject
Re: [HLUG] DrayTek adsl router

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

>Hi,
>
>There is a firewall on it but from the outside interface only.
>
>Was this the one that Box was selling on this list?  If so then it was
>originally my router.  Are you plugging it into the LAN port or the ISDN
>port (also an RJ45 interface) - sorry if this seems a bit silly but it
>is possible.
>
>Are you using DHCP or assigning addresses manually?

If you need to access 192.168.1.1 your pc must be on the same subnet ,
ei 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3 would work, but 192.168.0.1 would not.

Check if your pc is using a static Ip address or DHCP. If its dHCP then
thsi should work out automatically, if static you must use an IP address
like 192.168.1.2 to be able to talk to the router.

Julian