[Herts] NTL Cable Modems and Linux

Neil Youngman herts at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 10 16:32:01 2003

My cable modem is now up and running. It was installed on Saturday and I
originally intended to set it up on USB on Win98 and if I could get it
working on Linux I would have saved myself the price of a cheap NIC. While
setting it up I assumed that I could still dial up as a fallback. On Saturday
I read the documentation before starting and found that as soon as I had the
cable modem set up, my account would be converted to a cable modem account.
i.e. I could only have dial up access on a separate account from the cable
modem.

Anyway today I got a cheap and cheerful RTL8139 NIC for 12 quid from PC
Efficient and everything's more or less working. Installation of the NIC was
a right pain on win98. On Linux the installation was a breeze, but I'm not
sure what the canonical way of configuring DHCP on Debian is. Currently I
just run the pump DHCP client manually.

Anyway the point of all this is that as long as you've got a 'doze dual boot
the NTL cable modems seem pretty easy to use with Linux, bearing in mind of
course that I've only been on for a few hours.

Remarkably I was even able to get through to customer services in under 5
minutes to cancel my 2nd phone line.

Neil