[Herts] Newbie with Boot Hassle - Can anyone help?

Geoff Pitt herts at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 28 18:25:01 2003

Hi

I'm just started trying to use Linux having bought a copy of SuSE 8.1
Professional.  Although I'm looking for immediate help now, I'd be
interested to know about the group as I'm keen to learn to learn as much as
possible.  If anyone can offer advice or point me in the right direction I'd
be very grateful.

Just to make life awkward for myself I'm trying to set it up on a newly
acquired RAID array and use Win98 at the same time.  I've been in touch with
SuSE support however they don't support RAID without extra payment.  My
situation is as follows:

I've split my array into two equal partitions the first I've made active DOS FAT32
and installed Win98 and then booted the SuSE installation disk which has
identified the blank partition and installed OK.  I can access the OS
booting from the installation CD and have tried to use YaST to save LILO in
various locations (boot, root, floppy..) however, wherever I try to boot it
to it gives the same error:

LI 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...........etc for several lines

Then hangs.

I've tried a third party boot manager (MasterBooter) to no avail - is there
a better solution?  I've just re-installed Win98 to get the boot partition
back and access email etc.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff