[Herts] Gentoo Linux

Nicolas Pike herts at lug.org.uk
Sat Nov 8 19:00:16 GMT 2003

Hi,

Thanks for your reply I have a few more details now

1. The card is a S3 Savage "Number Nine" 1999 Vintage, the PC is a IBM 300GL
I have tried another AGP card but I get much the same result. Ethernet is a
Compaq 10/100 (Intel chipset I think), all work fine with the Live CD Boot.
2. Alt etc makes no difference, It seems to run up OK, as I say I don't
think the network is running but I can log on.
3. I did follow through the install instructions pretty carefully, basically
doing stage 3 then the last GRP part. I had to go back to do the hotplug
bit, as this got left out first time round.
4. Should I need frame buffer, I do not, well to start with at least plan to
use X, as I say the first line or two come up on the screen OK.
5. I used genkernel, straight out of the box. Thanks for the info on SSH it
will reduce flicking between PC's.
6. I will check out edit "/etc/conf.d/net" I did set this up but it is worth
a check for sure.
7. I will have another go from scratch again tomorrow, it is just that it
takes a while !!!

Thanks again for you suggestions, we will get there and I have learnt quite
a bit already!!!!!
Regards
Nicolas