[Herts] Linux as a music workstation

Croxley Linus croxley.linus at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 27 21:09:48 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm a Linux user from Croxley (The other end of Herts).

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 which I love to bits and have scrapped anything
MS as I was fed up with re-installing every time the system burped.

I generally do everything on my Linux boxes now, but the only thing I
miss is some of the music applications.

I have heard that the Linux Kernel is not really optimised for use as a
music workstation, although I read somewhere that Mandrake have a low
latency Kernel that is optimised for music use.

Has anyone out there experimented with Rosegarden (Linux sequencer
software) or any good sound editors? I have the Alsa drivers for a
Creative Live Platinum chirping along quite happily but haven't really
explored the sequencing side of things.

P.S.

Any Linux users in the Watford area please feel free to get in touch.
None of my friends understand my enthusiasm for this system :-(

Toby.