[Herts] Network Configuration The Debian Way

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 19:42:21 BST 2004

Hello,

After much fathoming, I found a fine article languishing in
my Saved_Articles_To_Read folder from last September about
installing Debian, that has answered my many questions
about how to get my ethernet card recognised and running.

The article got lots of comments addressing his weird way
of making ethernet work, so he went and wrote a Part 2,
to explain the simple proper way using the 'etherconf'
utility, which is just what I needed. I also found out
about 'modconf' :)

So now 'ifconfig' is seeing eth0, and I'm reading NFS-HOWTO...

Here's the links for anyone interested...

Cheers,
Malc

Debian GNU/Linux - Not Just Another Pretty Face

Part 1 *
http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=review-debian2

Part 2
http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=review-debian

*[Yes, the URL for Part 1 really _is_ review-debian2]

Here are some comments that made the author go back and write Part 2...

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=4419&limit=no#139451
Network installation doesn't look debian like
 By Daniel Stirnimann (IP: ---.170.186.195.dial.bluewin.ch)
 - Posted on 2003-09-03 15:23:39
> I create /etc/init.d/ethernet with this content:
> #! /bin/sh
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>
> And then issue the command:
> update-rc.d ethernet defaults

I think the debian way is to edit /etc/network/interfaces (Package ifupdown).
 That said the configuration would look something like this:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

To apply the settings simply type:
/etc/init.d/network restart

Daniel

[...]

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=4419&limit=no#139624
Ethernet config the Debian way
 By Nico (IP: ---.houston.omnes.slb.com)
 - Posted on 2003-09-03 21:27:47

Creating a startup script to configure Ethernet is really no the Debian way.

Debian has a very nice infrastructure for that.

All is in the /etc/network/

And for a simple setup like the one described in the article, a simple edit of
 /etc/network/interfaces would have been enough.

I would suggest a serious read of 'man interfaces'.

/etc/network/interfaces contains network interface configuration information for
 the ifup(8) and ifdown(8) commands. This is where you configure how your system
 is connected to the network, by setting IP addresses, and other related
 information.

Nico

[...]