[Herts] Interesting debate

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon Jan 26 22:27:16 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:13:42PM +0000, Steve Davies wrote:
> Cyberesque wrote:
> > Samsung quotes:
> > >"Almost no CD writer available in the market is compatible with
> > >Linux/Unix.
> > >The only recommended operating systems for using CD writers are Windows
> > >95/98/2000/XP and NT. The recording programs do not support most of the
> > >other operating systems. In other words: under Linux/Unix etc. CD writers
> > >will work like a normal CD-ROM drive."
> Curious. I've been using Linux for almost 10 years, and can honestly say:
> 1) Every IDE and SCSI CD writer I've ever used has worked under Linux.

Actually old SCSI CD writers didn't all work under Linux; my first
writer was an old Ricoh SCSI thing that wasn't supported at all. It took
a while before there was a uniform standard for CD writers - I think it
was mostly in place by the time IDE writers became common place.

J.

--
noodles is known for its