[Herts] Boot disc too large for floppy (MDK)

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Tue May 18 23:37:22 BST 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:23:39PM +0100, Lexx wrote:
> Does anyone here use Mandrake?
> I've just tried to create a boot floppy so that I can load Mandrake on
> to an old laptop (won't boot from CD-Rom). The process aborts before
> completion saying there is no more room on the media. Is there any way
> around this?

IIRC, it might be that the kernel you're using is taking up just
a bit too much space. This happened to me on Debian Stable using
2.4.?? (probably 2.4.18, certainly no later), but I can't remember
quite what I did to get around it. Maybe try including less stuff
in the kernel, more as loadable modules perhaps? (*guess*)

> I would have expected to have been prompted for a continuation disc or
> something.

I don't think it's quite as simple to get one disk to chain another.
Maybe possible with some kind of demonic scripting, but beyond me.

> Many thanks in advance for your time

You're welcome :-)

Malcolm