[Herts] Managed to lock up my box.

Ian Gregory yahoo at zenatode.org.uk
Wed May 26 00:48:21 BST 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 07:17:47AM +0100, Cyberesque wrote:

> I was looking for fortune and foolishly after being unable
> to find it I typed:
> $ grep fortune
>
> I don't know whether it has just frozen, locked up or is just
> searching, but I can't get out of it now.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since you did not give a filename, grep is searching standard input.
So it is waiting for you to type stuff and will search what you type
for the word "fortune". If it was searching a file then the command
would exit when it reached the the end of file (EOF).

So the question is, what do you do to indicate the end of standard
input? The answer is to hit ^D (hold down "Ctrl" and hit "d") which
basically sends an EOF character.

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/