[Herts] RE: Debian from Woody to Sarge?

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 18 18:50:04 GMT 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 02:43:18PM -0000, nicolas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the length of this email..

Nonsense, it's a short one :-)

> Just tried to do apt-get update on my server and got..
>
> apt-get update
> Err http://www.backports.org stable/postfix Packages
>   404 Not Found
> Ign http://www.backports.org stable/postfix Release

[...Snipping lost Backports...]

> Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages

[...Debian updates OK...]

> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used
>  instead.
>
> Then (Just out of interest)
>
> apt-get -u upgrade
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back
>   apache apache-common bsdutils courier-authdaemon courier-base
> courier-pop
>   cpio libpcre3 libssl0.9.6 lynx mount mysql-client mysql-server ntp
>   ntp-simple openssl php4 php4-mysql proftpd proftpd-common python2.1
>   util-linux zlib1g
> The following packages will be upgraded
>   mysql-common
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 23  not
> upgraded.
> Need to get 34.2kB of archives. After unpacking 12.3kB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
>
> =
> Backports.org now points to Sarge ports not Woody hence the broken
> links?

Excellent deduction, Holmes!

> I was just after peoples thoughts / URL's on the best / safest way to
> move this all to Sarge, ideally avoiding backports, as the few packages
> I use "must" be in Sarge by now.

Gotta love the "-marks around that word 'must'. If your servers depend
on specific versions of certain packages, I should manually check first.

Have you considered commenting out the backports lines in your
/etc/apt/sources-list and then running (as root) these commands
to put you to a vanilla Sarge install (assuming you have Sarge
listed in your /etc/apt/sources-list) :

  # apt-get update
  # apt-get -s upgrade

The -s switch will do a simulation and tell you what would have
happened, without actually installing anything, so you can check first.
But you knew all that anyway ;-)

Bye
--
Malc