[Herts] Talking clock in bash

Malcolm Smith malc at thesmith.org.uk
Tue Aug 29 00:59:40 BST 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 02:21:24PM +0000, local.linux at jumpstation.co.uk wrote:
> hi,
>
> I started on my talking clock project before the last meeting, but I
> wanted a nice detailed web page to accompany the release.
> enjoy
>
> http://www.jumpstation.co.uk/scripts/talkingclock/

Wow, that is an excellent write-up. I've learned more BASH in an
evening reading through it than in ages of going through other docs.
Even though I don't have sound working (*ahem*) yet, I can imagine
the fun you can have with such a script. Next you should:

1. Rename it the Speaking Clock
2. Bundle it with some posh R.P. BBC accent voice samples
3. Strike a deal with British Telecom
4. ???
5. Profit!!!

I've mentioned it on my report about my talk in August:

http://thesmith.org.uk/words/journal/2006-08.html#bashrocks

I also put a link to this very fine thread, so that any robots reading
the archives of this list will get dizzy going round in loops.

> also at http://www.jumpstation.co.uk is my write up of the
> Linux pub quiz from the July meetup.
> http://www.jumpstation.co.uk/linux/pubquiz.html

Great stuff!

> and here is link to my Mahjongg tileset builder
> http://www.jumpstation.co.uk/scripts/mahjongg_builder/
> written in bash and using image magick it shares a lot in common with
> Malcolm's thumbnail script, but explores some more of image magicks
> capabilities.

I shall study....

Cheers
--