Free the postcode, was Re: [Herts] Re: Herts Digest, Vol 121, Issue 1

Paul Dixon lordelph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 19:04:27 GMT 2006

On 11/27/06, Steve Clark <steve at bagofspoons.net> wrote:
> On Monday 27 November 2006 18:01, Robin Smith wrote:
> > It would be nice if http://www.freethepostcode.org/ was joined up to
> > openstreetmap as you could write nice overlays to find addresses etc.
>
> It may happen eventually as the projects are linked. They just have to take it
> a step at a time.

They don't believe they can use OpenStreetMap (OSM) due to their
desire to make the postcode dataset public domain. OSM currently
licence the maps with a Creative Commons attribution-sharealike
licence, which means anything derived from it must also be similarly
licenced.

It is believed by some that if you click an OSM map to determine a
location, and use that data in something else, that becomes a derived
work and subject to the same licence. I'm not sure how much effort has
been put into checking this out with legal experts though.

Paul