[Herts] Closed Windows.

Simon Powell simon at riboudin.com
Sun May 11 08:06:22 BST 2008

This rings so true for me as a distinctly amateur user.  What I found
very quickly was that the man pages and Google are invaluable, but it
does depend how far into the system you want to go.  I have got Mandriva
(I started with Mandrake 7.0) on my main machine, Suse on my laptop and
a Sharp Zaurus, all of which are pretty good at shielding one from the
command line.  I bought the very good Linux Bible, published by
O'Reilly, but have only needed it when I have done something stupid.  I
am going to put the new Mandriva 2008.1 onto the laptop, because this
seems to be truly excellent for someone who just wants to work rather
than fiddle.

I have still got Windoze on my laptop in a dual boot, only to run my
Nokia synch software, the updates for my Tom-Tom and a few other bits.
I keep planning to run a VM or emulator, but have just moved to France,
and have too much on to risk messing it up and having to sit through a
re-install right now.

The laptop came with Vista, and it is truly appalling.  I get about 60%
more battery life with Linux, because Vista is constantly running the
hard disk, apparently to check that I am entitled to run software and
own the files on my system.

Simon Powell