[Herts] Smoothwall Progress / Test

ROBERTS, Mike mike.roberts at astrium.eads.net
Thu May 22 08:37:42 BST 2008

> > Hopefully all will become clearer later...
>
> I think James/Jim took the Smoothwall box to play with.

Ah yes :) Thanks. Apologies to Jim.

> I tried replying to this email via Gmail that fakes my
> account and from my
> server's webamil, but neither seemed to get through.

For me, from work, the problem turned out to be that I had subscribed to
 the list as mike.roberts at .... but the exchange server here actually
 sent mails as Mike.Roberts at .... Although the specs say there is
 no case sensitivity in mail addresses it would seem that Mailman
 is *very* particular and was ignoring the upper cased version. The
IT people here tweaked my mail addy to all lower case and voila,
success.

So I guess your attempts via other routes are running in to the same
 problem. If the address headers as not "just so" then mailman ignores
you.
>From home I found that if I didnt have the "reply to" and "from"
addresses
exactly the same as the subscribed address again it ignored the emails.

> I was wondering if it is worth persisting withe Smoothwall or
> if we could use
> a wireless router to do the same job. Perhaps a Linksys with
> one of the open
> firmwares. If the LUG has some spare cash it could pay for it.

Given that Jim appears to have fixed the smoothy now do we need anything
else?

Perhaps a topic for discussion at a meeting? ;0)

I was wondering if it might be worth getting something a little more
suitable
than a bin bag to store the kit in? Does it have to be in a bag because
it
gets stuffed in a drawer or would a small case be ok?

Also is it worth finding a scrap of wood/metal and attaching the
wireless
access point, hub and a multi block to it so that it is all ready to go
rather than spending a while untangling it all and hooking it up each
meeting?

Mike 8-{>

> --
> Steve

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it
for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this
message and any attachments from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all
liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or
falsified.