[Herts] Mystery File

David Honour thegoatee at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 11:57:31 UTC 2009

A file appeared in my home dir a while ago, here's the output from a
set of commands. Maybe someone will have an idea about what to do with
it.

ls -l ~
-rw-r--r--  1 dave dave        0 Mar 24 17:56 ?|9O??

rm '?|90??'
rm: cannot remove `?|90??': No such file or directory

rm has typical behavior, more or less everything will give that error.

The file appears in gtk file browsers as shown here:
http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strangefilegtkentry.png

I can create another file (e.g. using nano) in the same dir with the
same name and work with that (rm and stuff works), when I run ls I can
see both, with identical names but seperate entries.

So I forced an e2fsck on the unmounted partition and it found nothing.

Any ideas?
David